Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Embracing me!

Life lesson learned: I'm laying in bed just letting my mind wander. I thought about my first year of college and realized that I isolated myself, well part of myself, in a sense. I spent so much time exploring my queer identity that I lost sight of another part of myself. I'm more than just a queer person. I'm a queer person of color. Better yet, I'm a person of color period. I am black and I go to a University that has such a small African American community and I didn't take part in it at all. Why? The answer is I was afraid. I was afraid I wouldn't be accepted because I am queer. I know it is dumb, but that is how I felt. I didn't make those connection because I felt like I would be shunned. I guess that is why I meshed well with the queer community on campus because I was one of them. It didn't matter if I was black or not, we all faced the same struggles. Now looking back, yeah I face the same struggles of people in the queer community but also I face the same struggles as every black person on campus. It shouldn't matter if I am gay or straight. I'm still black and at the end of the day, that is what connects us. It's a small community and if I isolated myself from it. I shunned one part of myself for another and I shouldn't have done that. I won't do that ever again. I am Me and I wouldn't be me if it wasn't for all the different aspects that create my being. Ok Rant over. I'm finally embracing me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment